Reroofing in Atlanta
When to Replace Your Existing Roof
Though severe weather, moisture problems, or damage from falling trees may mean you need to replace your roof before its time, age is the key determiner for when to replace your roof.
If you are not sure the last time your Atlanta home’s roof was replaced, it’s a good idea to check your records. That way, you can plan to keep your home protected—and also make sure your roof isn’t aging prematurely.
Roof longevity often depends on the material. See the lifespan of the most common roofing systems below:
- Asphalt shingles – 20 to 25 years
- Wood shakes – Up to 30 years if well-maintained
- Clay tiles – 50+ years
- Slate – The years varies depending on the type of slate, from 50 up to 200 years
At the Cool Roofing Company, we have experience with all kinds of roofing materials and can help you determine if it’s time for a reroofing. We also offer financing options to help alleviate costs.
Call us at (770) 947-9679 for roof replacement or restoration.
Other Factors for Roof Replacement
Since they’re relatively inexpensive, asphalt shingles are the most common roofing material in America. However, if damaged, they’re susceptible to harbor moisture that grows algae or moss, and loss of the granule coating means UV rays can cause further harm. It’s also possible for wind to pull up the shingle edges, allowing moisture to penetrate the roof.
Shingles or tiles of any type can allow moisture into your home if they’re cracked or missing. Even if only a few tiles are damaged, over time, water can warp and weaken the decking under the shingles as well as the rafters beneath them, and cause damage to your roof’s structure.
If caught early, you may only have to replace some tiles; if left too late, you could be looking at a whole or partial reroofing.
Signs You Need to Upgrade Your Roof
- Tears & Curls – Shingles made of asphalt are intended to lay flat on your cabin roof to form a strong, steady, watertight layer. Nailed to the roof with a strip of tar on the back, it keeps the water from leaking inside. Over time, the tar strips inevitably break down. And the asphalt shingle dries out and curls up, leaving many holes in your roof to let water in. If you see your roof tearing or curling, it’s time to schedule a new roof installation in Atlanta.
- Gutters Filled With Pebbles – Over time, your roof takes a beating with the changing seasons constantly bearing down on it. The rubble and stones that hit against it can cause the roof to weaken and tear. If you notice your gutters are filled with pebbles, it might mean it’s time to replace your roof.
- Green Roof – If you notice green growth, such as moss, lichen, and fungus, on your roof, it’s a sign it might be time to reroof. Such greenery often grows when there is too much moisture on the roof. If left unchecked, this growth can weaken your roof causing cracks and leaks. Protect yourself from costly roofing repairs in the future by replacing your roof today.
Contact Our Atlanta Roof Replacement Experts
With over a century of combined experience, our team at The Cool Roofing Company has seen it all—age, storm damage, moisture, leaks, and more. Trust our experienced roofers with your roof replacement today.